Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Job search -- Wed., Mar., 21

Reno, NV:
Today is interview day. I have an appointment at 11:00 a.m. at Applied Staffing to sign up for temporary work. Of the temporary agencies I sent my resume to, Applied Staffing is the only one that called me back. My first impression on walking through their door is that this is a hopping company. Quite a few people were filling out applications and people were coming and going the whole time I was there.

After filling out their paperwork, I was directed to Judy's office for my appointment. She is a Senior Staffing Partner who places admin/clerical help. We talked for a while and I explained I'm looking for temporary, fill-in work for employees who are on vacation, medical leave, maternity leave, etc. She said not many people come in looking for temporary work so I have an advantage when those requests come in. Computer testing is now done on your home computer through an online testing agency. How cool is that? I didn't have to sit through 2-1/2 hours of testing in their office on an unfamiliar computer.

At 3:30 p.m. I had an interview for a part-time job at a garden hardscapes company. This job requires working the full gardening season (through fall) so we both agreed, this job would not work for her or me.

When I got back to the 5er, Judy at Applied Staffing had emailed the link to my online testing. I was able to complete tests for Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and the data entry test, but my computer hung up on the Microsoft Windows test and their technical department couldn't fix it. I notified Judy by email that I was unable to complete the Windows testing.

At night, I watched "Survivor," "America's Next Top Model," and "CSI."

2 comments:

  1. Maybe.... the hang-up on the Microsoft Windows test WAS the test to see if you could FIX it?!! Sneaky people, those testing folk.

    (Seriously, good luck. I would think you are a shoe-in!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Robert: Got results of my testing. My levels are Word: advanced; Excel: advanced; Outlook: high intermediate; Windows: advanced; data entry: excellent skills with one error. Now it's up to the agency to find work for me.

      Delete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.