Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

You Never Know What Will Happen -- Mon., May 28

Today at the gate was very light.

On Bob's walk this evening, he saw four Axis deer (on the ranch across the road), four whitetail deer and a bunch of cottontails.

Other than that it was a pretty normal day gate guarding. Another nice sunset.




Night, however, had other ideas. This evening I had five tanker trucks who came back three times. They were finished by 9:30 p.m. (Overall, still a light evening.)

Because it was going to be a while between tanker deliveries, I wanted to call Mom to find out how her weekend went. She went to Lake Arrowhead in Washington on Saturday to visit Frank & Gina (brother and SIL) at their property.

Got my phone, sat down in the recliner, dialed Mom's number but realized I didn't have any blinds open to see trucks arriving. Got up, stepped over a box and raised the blinds. Started to step back over the box, miscalculated, got my feet all tangled up with the box and down I went--left knee, left hip, left elbow. It was such a shock I just laid on the floor and cried. Bob was so concerned, he got out of the shower and brought me an ice pack and some Kleenex. What a guy! 


After crying and ascertaining nothing was hurt, except my pride and a rug burn on my knee about the size of a quarter, I blew my nose and laid there with an ice pack under my left hip. I was just starting to relax when the bell went off. Bob couldn't get it, so I put on my big girl panties and zipped out the door to check in the tanker. 


I called Mom back to tell her I was okay as I only heard her answering machine when I dialed the first time. I wasn't sure how much of my fall she might have heard on her answering machine. She wasn't home, so I left a message.


I checked in two more trucks, then checked out all three. Mom called back and we were able to chat. She had a "lovely" weekend at the lake, and at her friend Jo's son's (Bob's) house on Memorial Day. At the lake, there was spaghetti dinner, a drive and a walk. At Bob's house, they played Yahtzee and Wii bowling.


After the call, I iced my lower back, hips, shoulder, knee, put the recliner back and read my book, "Gone Tomorrow," by Lee Child. It was about 11:30 p.m. Once again, I assessed the damages from the fall, put the ice pack aside, and promptly fell asleep.

Update: No more trucks came in last night. I woke up at 3:00 a.m. I think my body was in shock from the fall. Normally I don't sit down and fall asleep. Then nothing until 4:30 in the morning when the police came by for a security check. Bob was on duty.

It's Tuesday afternoon and I don't have any major aches and pains. Yay!

Spoiler alert: If you don't want to see kitty photos, stop reading here.

Bowie in the tube

Sunnie & Bowie sharing the hidey-hole.
Sunnie & Bowie are "into" boxes.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you were more indignant than hurt with the fall. Love those kitty photos! I miss the presence of a cat . . . or two . . . or three. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've got to take better care when I'm moving around.

      Love the kitties. They're such sweethearts. Glad you like the photos. Maybe we'll cross paths one day and you can meet them.

      Susan

      Delete
  2. Your story is so familiar...I did the same thing in the bus just about a week ago. Tripped on my own shoes and fell on knee and elbow. I, too, sat and cried out of surprise and shock. No lasting harm except a skinned knee and my pride! But still, falling down is such a shock at our age, isn't it? Makes you glad it wasn't much worse...

    May all your falls be of the "quick recovery" type!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a shock, then relief. Am I just getting clumsy? And in such a small space no less. You just never know.

      Thanks for stopping in.

      Susan

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear the fall damage was minimal. In my year in the RV, I've learned to look down. The last time I went down, I got wrapped up in our golden's tie line. He get's excited when he sees me. After looping behind me once, he took off running. Kodak moment when tie line literally pulled both feet out from under me. Accidents will happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. I hope you were all right. Did he drag you very far?

      Delete
  4. Susan,

    Today I received the Napping Blogger Award and passed it on to you and your blog! See my writer blog at http://mywritingneuk.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm honored. Can't wait to pass it on.

      Susan

      Delete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.