Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

San Antonio Zoo -- Tues., Sep. 18

Condors and gibbons and hippos...oh my! Anteaters, cranes and dogs...oh, my! Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.



But I was at the Ssssssan Antonio Zoo. Can you tell I've recently been in the Reptile Housssssse? I am fascinated by reptiles. This zoo has pit vipers, pythons, rattlesnakes, lizards, komodo dragons, and geckos of different varieties. The reptile exhibits are well lit and I actually found most of the little darlings. Boy am I glad there's glass in there to keep them away from us; unlike nature in all its glory. 

Komodo Dragon.
Komodo Dragon
When the zoo opened at 9:00 a.m., I headed up to see the cats hoping they might be awake. Nope, only the fishing cat was up, prowling and glaring at me. Maybe when I head back this afternoon more of the felines will be up and alert. 

Fishing cat.
 
Fossa (taken through scratched plastic window)
The same fossa in the afternoon.
You'd never know it by watching it sleep!
I think this is a white collared lemur.
Oh did I say I had to go back to the zoo this afternoon? That's because yours truly forgot to charge her lithium ion rechargeable battery. So, I came home to eat lunch and charge up the battery. Luckily the zoo is only 15 minutes away and is open until 6:00 p.m.

The white-cheeked gibbons were particularly fun. A family of four--mom, dad and two kids--were frolicking up and across the ropes, up and down the chain link, and the dad was a complete ham. There were little kids up near the glass and the the papa gibbon (about the same size as the two-to-four-year-old kids) came down to the glass, looked at the little kids and jumped up and down, spun around, climbed up the chain link, but ultimately came back down and jumped up and down in front of all of us lined up at the glass. What a goof! The keeper at the exhibit said papa gibbon really likes attention. Ya think?

Momma gibbon in middle, dad bottom right, youngster in front of momma.
Mom's just hangin' around.
The 3 and 5 year old gibbons, just kids.
While there this morning, I heard a keeper talk about the Andean Condors and saw the birds flying around their cage. Did you know their wingspan is 10 feet?! In addition, the keeper fed dead rats to the condors so we could watch them eat as they would in the wild. Rip, shred, eviscerate! Ewwwww! He warned us it would be gory.

Andean Condor.
At the elephant enclosure, I heard another keeper talk about Asian elephants and watched as the trainers put them through their paces. Two elephants were in the enclosure and the trainers had them pick up objects and bring them back to them, had them balance, kneel and lie down. The keeper giving the talk said training exercises are good for the elephants because they're getting older and need to stay flexible. Tae Kwon Do for elephants. LOL.

I saw some animals today that I've never heard of, but I can't remember their names. This afternoon I'll take photos of their names. Hopefully the battery will finish recharging soon so I can head back! It's 3:30 p.m. and the recharge light is still red. Battery took two hours to recharge. Headed back to the zoo at 4:15 p.m.

Jaguar napping.
Ocelot.
Reeve's Muntjac--about the size of dogs.


Zonked out wart hog.

Addax.
Addax use their long horns, among other things, to scratch their sides or chase away a pesky bug.

Dama gazelle.
White rhinoceros.
Zebra.
Topi.
Wild African dog.
Look at them snappers!
Nile crocodile and assorted fish.
Hippos.
Black-necked swans
Common Crowned Pigeon (Australia)
Eastern Rosella (Australia)
New Guinea Masked Plover (Australia)


Wouldn't be a zoo without a lion.
 

Bush dog on the run.

Babirusa napping.


Birds are amazing at the San Antonio Zoo. Local egrets and herons nest in the trees at the zoo. In addition to the birds above, were the following and many, many more.
In enclosures and cages, I saw scarlet ibises, blue-bellied rollers, kookaburras, hornbills, infinite varieties of birds. There is a whole exhibit on cranes of the world.



Scarlet ibis.
Manchurian Crane.


Blue Crane.
 

Whooping Crane.


Sandhill Crane.
Black-necked Stork.


Don't know what kind of bird this is.

Flamingoes.
White pelicans.
 



This bird loved me...kept flying right up to the glass and posing.
 

 

Guinea fowl.
 
 



Very friendly bird--don't know what it is.
Australian Shelduck.
Capybara.

Overall, the San Antonio Zoo is one of the nicer zoos I've been to. It ranks high up on my list with the Oregon Zoo in Portland. The landscaping is very well done with many shady places to rest out of the sun.

For a desert, there's plenty of water areas for fish, tomistoma (crocodillians), flamingoes and other water birds, giant Japanese salamanders, and even an aquarium. (Note: There are signs throughout the zoo indicating they are under water restrictions because of the drought.)

Another area of the zoo is the Tiny Tot Nature Spot for kids five and under with a riverbank area where kids can play in the water, dig in the sand and generally get wet and dirty.

I ran out of time to take the Zoo Train around Brackenridge Park. Tomorrow is another day and that's where I'll be.

Art and Tammy from It's Good to Be Us are our latest subscribers. Welcome to you both.

Travel Bug out.

9 comments:

  1. I especially like the Dorito Parrot. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, yeah. That didn't look like the parrot's usual diet.

      Delete
  2. I love the San Antonio Zoo. It's always interesting and that area for the kids with the water area is a big hit when it is hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was about 84 yesterday and it was a big hit, even on a Tuesday afternoon.

      Delete
  3. Your pictures and description of the zoo and animals is fantastic. I spend many hours at the San Antonio Zoo as a child. It sure brings back fond memories and I know I need to visit it again. There is just so much to do in San Antonio and the surrounding area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another thing I enjoyed learning is that zoos around the world are helping preserve birds that were originally from Guam. On Guam, the introduction of the brown tree snake pretty much decimated all birds and wildlife from the island. The San Antonio Zoo has a number of breeding bird species from Guam. Zoos are hoping that at some point in the future, the brown tree snake will be eradicated and native birds can be returned to Guam.

      Hawaii is so afraid someone is going to smuggle snakes into the islands and that the decimation of birds could happen there too.

      Delete
  4. Interesting blog. I'm sure I'll be back. My best friend and I are full-timing not far from the zoo, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting blog! We are full-timing in our fifth wheel not far from the zoo, actually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie.

      I follow your blog and would love to meet you and Heidi if you have time from your SAW job. We are 15 minutes from the zoo.

      Susan

      Delete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.