Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Two Days' Worth of Blogs -- Tues., Dec. 11

Monday, December 10: We packed our bags and were ready to leave Iain and Tess's by 10:00 a.m. Iain and Doug invited us to breakfast at the Hawaii Kai Zippy's. That's the nicest Zippy's I've ever been in...it overlooks the marina.

After breakfast, Bob and I said our good-byes. We made a stop at Long's for some last-minute gift purchases and Costco to fill our rental car with fuel before returning it to the airport. Our plane took off on time at 3:45 p.m. The flight was bumpy at the beginning, but smoothed out enough to sleep. Our five-hour flight seemed short when compared to the 9-1/2 hour flight from Sydney to Honolulu.

We arrived in Portland at 11:10 p.m., picked up our rental car and made it to Mom's by 12:30 a.m. Our bodies were on Hawaii time, so we stayed up until 2:30 a.m. reading.

Tuesday, December 11:

Happy birthday, Laura!
 
 
This morning after breakfast, Mom and I headed over to Michael's crafts store in Tualatin so she could buy supplies to finish a necklace she made for me with hand-painted beads. Then we were off to Costco in Wilsonville to look for jeans to fit her. We found some in her size in long. She bought two pairs.
 
In the afternoon, I watched three Lonesome Dove videos. I had never read the books or seen the show. I'm really enjoying it. I have one video left to watch.
 
Mom finished the necklace and gave it to me. It's lovely and just the right length to wear with my scoop neck tops. Thank you, Mom!
 
For dinner, Mom made turkey, potatoes and carrots in the CrockPot. What a wonderful dinner. The turkey was tender and tasty. She had also baked chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.
 
After dinner, we watched a travel video on Australia. It covered some places we hadn't been and we loved it. However, I kept falling asleep with my full tummy.
 
Right now I've got three loads of laundry going so I'll be awake a while yet.
 
I thought I'd share a couple of our Australia trip events with you that I had forgotten about until we started telling Mom about our trip.
 
Before we started one of our hikes to a waterfall, I had to use a toilet that was in a rustic area. It was clean enough, however, when I went into the stall and closed the door, there was a huge spider (small tarantula size and fuzzy, probably poisonous) behind the hinge. I about fainted. I HATE spiders. There was no way I could use that stall. I fled to the stall next to it which did not have any spiders, large or small. Every time I went into a stall after that I did a thorough inspection for spiders before using the toilet!
 
I wish I would have taken pictures of the yellow highway warning signs for kangaroos, koalas, wombats, and echidnas. Those signs are not part of our U.S. or Canada highway system.
 
Tomorrow, Mom, my sister, Jan, and I are going to Beaverton Bakery and the Woodburn factory outlet stores. Bob is driving to Tacoma, Washington to check on our rental there. In the evening, we're meeting our family friends Kimmie and Ky and my son, Mike, at Claim Jumper for dinner.
 
That's it for yesterday and today.
 
Travel Bug out.
 
 
 
 
 
 



3 comments:

  1. If you enjoyed Lonesome Dove, you should also enjoy Dead Man's Walk and Commanche Moon. Both of these tell the story of McRae and Cull prior to the time of Lonesome Dove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the end to a wonderful trip. Thanks for letting me come along!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure have been enjoying your trip. Glad you are enjoying some family time now too.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.