Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Looking for Something to Do? - Thurs., May 2

Bob and I were sitting around relaxing and talking. He suggested I take a look at the web site meetup.com.

I was immediately hooked. Meetup.com has groups of people for different interests. Do you like hiking? Philosophizing? Motorcycle riding? Quilting? Bicycling? Foreign language groups? Photography? Poker? Movies? Eating out? Adventures? Writing groups? Book clubs? Board games? Would you like to find other people who share your interests? Check out the site. You enter your zip code and how far you want to travel, then click search. All kinds of groups will populate for you to choose from (at least in large metro areas, not sure about small towns).

Bob finds running groups through meetup.com. I immediately joined four groups: San Antonio Explorers, Hill Country Hikers, Outdoor Adventures, and Movie Lovers.

Tomorrow night Bob and I are doing our first four-mile fitness hike with the Hill Country Hikers. Twelve people (including us) will be doing the hike.

So if you're out on the road or staying in an area long enough to meet people and do things, consider checking out meetup.com.

(And, no, I don't work for meetup.com. I think it's a fun idea.)

Here's a cat photo for you. I haven't posted one for a while.

Bowie and Sunnie.
We've been having strong winds and the temperature dropped 20 degrees from yesterday. Ourhigh was 60 degrees today, supposed to be 43 tonight. That's all for today.

Travel Bug out.



6 comments:

  1. Yes indeed, MeetUp.com looks like the perfect avenue for connecting with folks. It's something I intend to use if we ever settle down somewhere and don't know a soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of that sight. I might check out our area for birders groups. I'm sure we have some as this is a popular area for birds. Great kitty-kat picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting concept. We are in SIlver Ciy, NM and there is nothing going on there. Guess this would be for larger cites.
    Always love the cat pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We belong to several groups on Meetup here in Austin. There is always sometime going on plus we really like meeting new people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found some groups through Meetup.com. I have some funny stories concerning that site. When I first got here I got on the site and joined a group through Meetup. Every group I joined there was a woman there named Tammy. Tammy, it turned out was the Meetup website administrator. Tammy turned into a "friend" stalker and could see what groups I would be at. I guess she thought we should be BFFs or something and started showing up everywhere that I was. She even showed up at my house and non-Meetup clubs I belong to. Total nut bag. If I had more time I could relay some very interesting stalking stories. I avoid Meetup now which is a shame because I think the idea of finding people with similar interests is a great way to find friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I had a similar occurrence, so I started poking around my Meetup settings and discovered I could 'hide' my group settings so no one knew which groups I belonged to. It worked!

      Delete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.