Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Movie Review: Chef - Sun., June 8

On Saturday, Bob played basketball while I slept in. After I got up and showered, Bob called and asked if I wanted to meet him for lunch. Sounded good to me, I hadn't had breakfast yet.

We met at El Pollo Loco at 1:30 p.m. which is just around the corner from my hairdresser. At 2:30 I had an appointment for color and cut, so the lunch location was very convenient.

The last time we ate an an El Pollo Loco was in Reno a couple of years ago. Their menu has changed quite a bit (for the better). I had a grilled skinless chicken breast, steamed broccoli, side salad and two corn tortillas. It was very good. Even though I hadn't had breakfast, I couldn't finish my meal. Bob had an ultimate chicken bowl - chicken, pinto beans, avocado, rice, lettuce. He enjoyed his food too.

After my hair apppointment, Bob and I met at home. We decided to see "Chef" at Santikos Bijou Theater where they serve dinner. I ate, Bob didn't. I guess he was full from lunch.

"Chef" is a fun, funny movie. Bob and I got so many kicks from the jokes and situations. A couple of scenes caused peals of laughter from the audience. But, it's not just funny. The movie deals with divorce, a child of divorce, standing up for what you believe in, taking a risk, love, attraction, friendship, integrity, Twitter, marketing, and honesty. Jon Favreau plays Chef Carl Caspar who is unhappy at Dustin Hoffman's restaurant which has a stagnant menu. A food critic, Oliver Platt (in the vein of Hell's Kitchen's Chef Ramsey), gives Chef Caspar a horrible rating and a Twitter war ensues. Chef Carl's son plays a big role in teaching his dad about Twitter, using the internet for marketing, life and love. Then there's the all-star cast: Jon Favreau, Robert Downey, Jr., Sofia Vergara, Dustin Hoffman, Scarlett Johansson, John Leguizamo. All stars play their characters' personalities to a T. One part of the movie may require a Kleenex, but it's a happy cry. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 89%; the audience gives it a 90% rating. Bob and I say, "Go."

Sunday: My friend Susan had seven yards of bark dust to move out of her driveway. Bob and I went over at 8:00 a.m. By 9:00 a.m., we had the whole pile moved. Susan took us out to breakfast at Taco Cabana. Very classy.

When I got home, since I was already sweaty, I vacuumed, scrubbed the linoleum floors, and cleaned the bathroom. Now I'm very tired.

Today we've had on-and-off thunderstorms and rain showers. The temperature was 72 this morning while we moved bark dust, then it went up to 84. After the rain showers, the temperature has dropped back to 72.

This evening we plan to go to Random (beer garden/family event center) in Boerne, Texas to watch the Spurs/Heat game. I'm looking forward to it because I haven't been out there for a month or more. We'll have good food truck fare and yummy beers on tap.

Monday morning, Susan and I plan to walk IF there aren't thunderstorms. There's a 20% chance of severe thunderstorms Monday. We may be going to the movies instead! I'll keep you posted.

Friday night Susan and I leave on our driving trip. We are so excited.

Enjoy your week. Travel Bug out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.