Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Where There's Smoke, There's Fire - Wed., Sep. 3, 2014

I was sitting at the table reading email when I noticed smoke burning my eyes and throat. What's up with that? Looking out our back window toward the fence, smoke was blowing into the RV park.

Outside, thick smoke was blowing through the RV park. Scary. People were out of their RVs wondering what was burning. When you live in an RV fire is not your friend.

I called the RV park office to see if they knew where the fire was. They said it was toward the mission. I drove out to see where it.

A brush fire was burning along the San Antonio River bike path just south of Southcross, close to the bridge at VFW Blvd. From the Southcross Bridge you could see the flames and smoke really well. That's not too far from us, but the fire department was there putting out the fire. I went back to the RV park office and reported in.

Randi and I went back out a few minutes later to see how it was looking. All the flames were gone but there was lots of smoke. Thankfully, the fire was doused quickly.

I had Bob on high alert when the fire was at its worst, thinking he might need to come home and move the rig. That was not necessary.

When I talked to him the last time, he asked me if I got pictures. Duh. No. I was so excited, I didn't. Silly me. I wouldn't make a very good reporter, would I?

I went back and took photos of the mop up efforts. It looked like they saved the rental bike stand at the VFW Blvd. access to the bike path.

Brush fire as seen from the Southcross Bridge
Brush fire near VFW Blvd next to bike path - bike path
and picnic table shown in bottom of photo
(taken from across the river)
Fireman in the smoke (enlarge to see him)
SAFD mopping up
Another engine on stand-by
That was our excitement for the day. Throat and eyes are feeling better now.

Travel Bug out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.