Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Friday, June 9, 2017

We've Been Buffaloed! - Monday, June 5, 2017

By "buffaloed" I don't mean puzzled, confused or mystified. I mean we have been shown the city of Buffalo, Wyoming through our Volksmarching. This morning we drove to Prosinski Park which was the start point for the Mentock Trail Volksmarch. 

Susan, Darren and I walked two blocks to the park to check in. I was keeping an eye on them because we had to catch a bus to the trailhead. They were a little behind me the first time I looked. I got in line to register at the park, and I kept watching for them to come around the corner by the restroom. And I waited and waited. I made it through the line and saw Darren come around the corner. I told Darren the first bus was almost full, so they should hurry. The first bus was waiting, so I got on it. 

There were about seven seats left. I felt certain Susan and Darren would make it on the bus with me. But I was proved wrong.

Apparently, Darren's registration paperwork was filed in the wrong spot. They just couldn't find it. I watched as the bus filled up and then we left for the trailhead without Susan and Darren.

I didn't know how long it would be until the next bus, so I headed out on the walk with everyone else. The lady at the registration table back at the park did not give me the walk directions, so I followed the crowd. 

Old Power Plant Trail
Clear Creek raging with snowmelt
Cacti
So much roaring water
I loved the sound of the rushing creek as I walked along. 


For some reason, I thought this trail would be flat gravel or asphalt, like a bike path. Boy, was I wrong! I didn't put on my knee brace and I didn't take my hiking poles for this walk based upon my false assumption. It was completely my fault as I confused this walk with the Clear Creek walk which WAS a flat gravel path and went on city streets and sidewalks.

This is the Mentock Trail which also follows Clear Creek (which was a raging torrent due to snow melt). In a couple of places, we had to cross high water that had insinuated itself onto the trail. One of those crossings required stepping on rocks to get across the water that would have covered your boots if you fell in (at least I wore my hiking boots!)

Later on the same trail, we had to traverse mud or try to get around it. I did pretty well and my boots didn't get too muddy. For a while, I walked with John and Bill. We chatted and picked our way around the mud, mostly. John made a misstep trying to go around a big mud bog. He tried to put his foot onto a nearly vertical rock and his foot slipped. I was right behind him. He came crashing down on his butt into the deep mud. At least he had a soft landing and I don't think he broke any bones, but his tan hiking shorts took a direct hit. He was a mess, but he said he was okay.

June in Wyoming is prime time for wildflowers and we saw quite a few along the trail.
Lupine
Larkspur
A member of the pea family?
When I got to the turn-around point for the 11k walk, I opted to make this a 5k walk instead. The shuttle bus for the 5k walk was only 1k up the path and there was a restroom there as well. I waited for 15-20 minutes for the shuttle bus to take me back to the start point. Once there, I had my books stamped, ate some freebie snacks, and then waited about an hour for Susan and Darren to come back.

We planned to do another walk after lunch. The second walk would be the Clear Creek Volksmarch which started at a Super 8 motel. We checked in there and then went next door for lunch. 

Where we ate lunch - Bozeman Trail Steakhouse
See info about this carousel pony below

After lunch, we immediately entered the Clear Creek Trail. Once again, we walked alongside the raging creek. This walk took us along Clear Creek, into the old downtown portion of Billings where we saw some beautiful murals and sculptures and went into a couple of parks. We then walked back to the van along city streets.


Darren and Susan on Clear Creek Trail
Darren communing with the tree
Clear Creek barely contained in its banks
Cute train outside a pottery shop
There are awesome murals in the old part of Buffalo, Wyoming. [Note: On a walk later in the convention, I spent time talking to Frank and Lois from Buffalo. They told me these buildings used to have totally different murals. For the record, they like these new murals a whole lot better! Frank and Lois, bless their hearts, run the Buffalo, Wyoming Volkssport club. They started out with four members and are now up to 17. Congratulations!]

Love the elk coming downstairs


The Bighorn Mountains covered in snow
Here is a pond we passed in one of the parks.
After the two walks in Buffalo, we drove to Hardin, Montana where we would spend the night. Our next walk is at the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument tomorrow morning. Good night all.
















2 comments:

  1. Buffalo is a nice little town. We spent a month there a few summers ago and really enjoyed the area, especially hiking up in the Big Horn Mountains! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob and I definitely have to take the 5th wheel back to the area. We've got lots more exploring to do.

      Delete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.