Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Friday, November 21, 2014

Birthdays - Thurs., Nov. 20, 2014

What does a birthday mean to me? It means I have another year experience in life, that I have good health, and time keeps marching on. Each year, I understand myself better and re-evaluate if my life is going in the direction of my hopes and dreams. Maybe life doesn't look exactly like I hoped it would, but I'm happy with the way it's going.

In my mind, I would travel more, but also know that I am responsible, take care of my debt, and enjoy working. Striking a balance between work, travel, and earning a living seems to be going well.

This year, Bob and I have been on two very nice vacations with our 5th wheel. In March we drove to Las Vegas, stayed at Lake Mead and visited Bob's family. We also spent time in Phoenix where we had a lovely visit with Aunt Sally and Uncle Skip. Dodger spring training was in full swing, so to speak, and was something Bob had always wanted to do. This year we were there. He was a happy man. We found a beautiful campground at Lake Pleasant where we enjoyed hiking, watching amazing sunsets, seeing wild burros, and meeting blogger friends at the campground across the lake.

Then we had our 6-1/2-week trip to Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, and Arkansas. In addition to learning about our respective family histories, fathers' birthplaces (both of them were born in the U.P. - Upper Peninsula - of Michigan which makes them U.P.ers or, colloquially, Yoopers), and meeting relatives, we hiked to waterfalls, Volksmarched state capitals, and saw amazing fall colors in every state.

I also went on two vacations without Bob. On one trip I flew to Oregon to be with my family for 1-1/2 weeks. Then, my friend Susan and I did a 5,000-mile driving trip when we Volksmarched state capitals in the West, and did the Columbia Gorge Bicentennial Hiking Weekend in Oregon.

So I can't complain that I haven't traveled enough, can I? I'm currently working to pay off debt and save up for more trips. In June 2015 I want to go to the American Volkssport Association National Convention in Salem, Oregon. And in December 2015, we are planning to do a big trip for Bob's 60th birthday, as soon as he decides where he wants to go.

Today, I worked ten hours which flew by. Tonight, Bob had a dozen red roses waiting for me when I got home from work along with a card and a Disney Princess "tiara." LOL.

Birthday cards above refrigerator
Bob took me out to dinner at Islamorada Fish Company restaurant at Bass Pro Shop in San Antonio. The reason we wanted to go there is the big aquarium with tropical fish. Nice ambiance...made us feel like we were back in Hawaii.

Islamorada Fish Company entrance
Lionfish
Lionfish
The lionfish again
Interior decor of Islamorada
Blue tang or palette surgeonfish
Here we are
Many-spotted sweetlips (from Indonesia)
Modeling the new necklace and earrings
made by my Mom.
More tropical denizens
Beautiful color variations and patterns
The lionfish sneaked back into my viewfinder.
Aquarium as seen from the Islamorada bar
Bob had mahi mahi with a teriyaki glaze and grilled pineapple. I had blackened red snapper with shrimp etouffee. Dinner was very enjoyable. For dessert, Bob had Key Lime Pie and I had to have the Chocolate Cake. Hands down, my cake won for best dessert. It was moist chocolate cake with layers of chocolate mousse served with vanilla ice cream, garnished with raspberry and chocolate sauce on the plate. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

A very good birthday indeed!

Thank you to all my friends and family for the birthday wishes. It made me feel very special. 

Travel Bug out.


14 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY for your special day - I enjoyed your reflections back through the years. May you have love & happiness all through to your next birthday. Cheers from Australia lesalp.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie. One thing about blogging, it really helps us to remember all the things we've done!

      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUSAN! Looks like you had a wonderful day. Chocolate cake would beat key lime pie in my book any day. Those are great pictures of the two of you and you in your mom's jewelry gift. I'd say you do quite a bit of travel for a working gal. Life is what you make it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Dinner was excellent. Whenever we're near a Bass Pro Shop we like to eat at their restaurant. Haven't had a bad meal in one yet. If you do go to a Bass Pro Shop restaurant to eat, remember to go for lunch. It's cheaper. LOL. I don't know if they have the same selections for lunch, though.

      Delete
  4. Happy, happy birthday, Susan. The photo with you and your mother's necklace is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Mom is quite the artist. Not only does she make beaded necklaces of all kinds, she paints, does calligraphy, decorates cakes, and she used to knit and crochet when we were younger.

      Delete
  5. The first one is a blue tang, the second is a spotted sweetlips. After that the only ones I know are the yellow tangs. We had two of those and they always fought, so we named them after our children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you. I have photo ID'd those fish. Yellow tangs are easy. We snorkeled in Hawaii and saw many of those.

      LOL, too funny naming yellow tangs after your children.

      Delete
  6. A little late, but Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a wonderful dinner. Good job Bob!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday and you two are the cutest ever! So glad you've gotten to do so many wonderful trips!!! Lucky indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.