Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Travel Planning - January 22

 Leadership Training
Saturday, my only day to sleep in. We were required to go to a class at 7:00 a.m. I am not a morning person. Grrrr. On the plus side, breakfast was provided. I am a breakfast person. Morning grumpiness got a little better.

The training was not boring so I didn't embarrass myself by falling asleep. In fact, I contributed quite a bit. Our boss was testing out a leadership training class he wants to present to managers at our company. We got about half-way through the training book in four hours (our allotted time). We will continue the training at our weekly staff meeting (so we don't have to keep getting up early on Saturday!).

One of the qualities of a leader is integrity. I made the comment that integrity is the marriage of the mind and spirit. Our boss asked what I meant by "spirit." "Spirit," I said, "is your belief system and philosophy." He mentioned that integrity also involves action. So I amended my statement to: "Integrity is the marriage of your mind and spirit as they walk down the aisle together." He thought that was a good metaphor. Most people just say, "Walk your talk," which is simpler but not as poetic.

Mid-day
Saturday afternoon I relaxed for a while. Bob made tuna sandwiches with slices from one of our last avocados off our tree for the year. Then he hosed off the front and back patios and vacuumed the house. So nice! I dusted the ceiling fans and mopped.

Travel Planning
Our "date" for Saturday night was to sit down and plan our trip to Tennessee and Kentucky. I always get so excited to look at maps and travel books. If the weather is nice when we go, many waterfalls and scenic hikes beckon us. 

Not to mention caves...I've always wanted to go to Mammoth Caves National Park in Kentucky and this is the trip! 

Lookout Mountain Caverns: From my book "Reader's Digest: See the USA the Easy Way: 136 Loop Tours to 1200 Great Places" comes this description: "Within Lookout Mountain Caverns [just outside Chattanooga, Tennessee] is Ruby Falls, a 145-foot natural waterfall flowing 1,120 feet below the surface of the mountain."

Also at Lookout Mountain is the "Lookout Mountain Incline Railway, the steepest passenger railway in the world with a 72.7 percent grade near the top. Signal Mountain overlooks the Tennessee River Gorge, often called the Grand Canyon of the Tennessee River.

"Rock City Gardens, on Lookout Mountain, offers 10 acres of unusual rock formations, gardens and overlooks--including a view of seven states from Lover's Leap..." All of those things in one place. We will have to spend some time there!

Other places on our travel itinerary are: 
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Gatlinburg, TN
  • Nashville, TN
  • Great Smoky Mountains National Park (did I mention hikes and waterfalls?)
  • Fall Creek Falls State Park (did I mention more hikes and waterfalls?)
  • Cumberland Caverns in McMinnville, TN
  • Blue Ridge Parkway
  • Mt. Mitchell, NC
  • Asheville, NC to see the Biltmore Estate
  • Bardstown, KY, (the capital of bourbon whiskey distilling)
  • Oak Ridge, TN (history of the government's top-secret Manhattan project, plutonium and the atomic bomb)
  • Cumberland Gap National Historic Park (Daniel Boone history)
  • Cumberland Falls Resort (another waterfall)
  • Museum of Appalachia
  • Sweetwater, TN (caverns and 4-1/2 acre underground lake known as the Lost Sea. Lake is stocked with rainbow trout which can be seen on a glass-bottom boat ride--in a cave!)
  • Smithville, TN to check out the Joe L. Evins Appalachian Center for Crafts, and Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness
The last part of our trip will be in Louisville, KY. Bob's company is sending him to a convention. 

Relatives we will see on this trip are, on the Alton side: Aaron, Claudia and Emily Alton in Rineyville, KY. 

On my side of the family, we will see my cousins Cindy and Laurie. There are rumors that my cousin Karen might come down from Michigan as well. I have not seen them since a trip to Michigan when I was 10 years old! I am looking forward to reconnecting with them.

Now you can see why I call myself Travel Bug...travel is my passion. I'll keep you posted as plans progress, and then from the road. Not too far off...I'm getting that dreamy look in my eye.

Travel Bug out.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.