Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Friday, March 15, 2013

And Then It Is Winter

This was sent to me from my mom yesterday. I don't know who wrote it, but it's worth reading. If you Google this, you will see a few other bloggers have posted it. Some say it came to them in an email, others found it in someone's blog. If you know who wrote it, please let me know so I may give credit where credit is due.
 

AND THEN IT IS WINTER

You know. . . time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years. Yet in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder where all the years went. I know that I lived them all. I have glimpses of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams. But, here it is... the winter of my life and it catches me by surprise...How did I get here so fast?

Where did the years go and where did my youth go? I remember well seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me and that winter was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like.

But, here it is...my friends are retired and getting gray...they move slower and I see an older person now. Some are in better and some worse shape than me...but, I see the great change...Not like the ones that I remember who were young and vibrant...but, like me, their age is beginning to show and we are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd be. Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day! And taking a nap is not a treat anymore... it's mandatory! Cause if I don't on my own free will... I just fall asleep where I sit!

And so...now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things that I wish I had done but never did!! But, at least I know, that though the winter has come, and I'm not sure how long it will last...this I know, that when it's over on this earth...it’s over. A new adventure will begin!

Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done...things I should have done, but indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done. It's all in a lifetime. 

So, if you're not in your winter yet...let me remind you, that it will be here faster than you think. So, whatever you would like to accomplish in your life please do it quickly! Don't put things off too long!! Life goes by quickly. So, do what you can today, as you can never be sure whether this is your winter or not! You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life...so, live for today and say all the things that you want your loved ones to remember...and hope that they appreciate and love you for all the things that you have done for them in all the years past!!

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after. Make it a fantastic one.

LIVE IT WELL!
ENJOY TODAY!
DO SOMETHING FUN!
BE HAPPY !
HAVE A GREAT DAY
Remember "It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.
 

Life Is Too Short
Life is too short to let even one day be frenzied or frazzled or frittered away.
Life is too short not to take time to do the things that will hold the most meaning for you.
So let yourself float like a leaf on a stream, relax with your memories and let yourself dream.
Throw out your list that's impossibly long, and dance a few steps to a favorite song.
Turn off the news and go find someone real who'll listen and talk and affirm what you feel.
Life is too short and flies by if you let it, so choose what you want every day-- and go and get it.

LIVE HAPPY IN 2013!
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE
SO - ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
~Your kids are becoming you......but your grandchildren are perfect!
~Going out is good.. Coming home is better!
~You forget names.... But it's OK because other people forgot they even knew you!!!
~You realize you're never going to be really good at anything....especially golf.
~The things you used to care to do, you no longer care to do, but you really do care
that you don't care to do them anymore.
~You sleep better on a lounge chair with the TV blaring than in bed. It's called "pre-sleep".
~You miss the days when everything worked with just an "ON" and "OFF" switch..
~You tend to use more 4 letter words: "What?" "When?"... ???
~Now that you can afford expensive jewelry, it's not safe to wear it anywhere.
~You notice everything they sell in stores is "sleeveless"?!!!
~What used to be freckles are now liver spots.
~Everybody whispers.
~You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet.... 2 of which you will never wear.
~But Old is good in some things: Old Songs, Old movies, and best of all, OLD FRIENDS!!
 
Stay well, "OLD FRIEND!" Send this on to other "Old Friends!" and let them laugh in AGREEMENT!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

18 comments:

  1. Very well written. I really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I enjoyed it too when it was sent to me. I do not take credit for writing this piece.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so very much for posting "and then it's winter". I hope you don't mind however I had to share it with others. It sure hit home. Thanks again and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I "shared" it from someone else. I just wish I could give credit to the original author.

      Delete
  3. You post today made me laugh. I was struggling today putting on my socks and surprised how a simple task is "suddenly" more of a challenge. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your blog is hard to read today.... the font is too dark on my screen. But I highlighted the words with my cursor to see them.

    Most of the time I feel about 34-35 and get frustrated with the handicaps my body has thrown at me. but I can still sit crosslegged on the floor, get up from that position, and play piggy back with the grandtots, so all is okay in my book! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      Thanks for letting me know. That's what happens when you're tired and don't preview it before publishing. It should be fixed now.

      Susan

      Delete
  5. Personally I cried when I read this as it was getting close to the end and then after reading the parts at the end I laughed. I realized how fast my life is passing by and the things I can't do like I once did. My mind is 35 but my body is 70s which I am 71. Everyone tells me I don't look 71 but I sure feel it most of the time! I do have to say that God has blessed me in so many ways and I have remarried in the winter of my life after being single for 30 years. I married a wonderful man that is so good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy for you Melba! That is my name too and I will be 66 next week. I feel much like you do and was also lucky to have found a wonderful husband at the age of 58. He has made entering the winter of life a surprisingly wonderful time...

      Delete
  6. Winter Is Here!
    written by Peg
    © copyright: Peggy Knox 2004
    AngelsSing2Hm@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also received this in an email, so beautifully written, I wanted to share it with my friends but wasn't sure if I could, hence my search to find out more information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To answer your question regarding who wrote the above, check out this link http://www.thereporter.com/article/ZZ/20140209/NEWS/140207272

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nana, This article was sent to me in March 2013.The date of "The Reporter" article by Ed Meadows is dated Feb. 9, 2014. I had another person claim this was written by "Peggy Knox" and copyrighted in 2004.I'm very confused about the origin of this piece.

      Delete
  9. It was written by my mom, Peggy Knox, in 2004. I'm so glad it touched you. It is a beautiful poem and funny and I'm so proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so true, so touching, so inspirational, so beautiful!
    I'll read it again after this afternoon nap...! THANK YOU for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.