Mission San Juan, December 30, 2017

Mission San Juan, December 30, 2017
Mission San Juan, December 30, 2017

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Doctor's Office - Wed., Dec. 18

My visit to the doctor's office on Wednesday was unlike any other doctor's office visit in my past. You see, I went there to work as a temp. The office is empty most of the time except when the doctors come up from Corpus Christi to see patients.

Here's how my work day went. I arrived at 10:00 a.m. to set up for patients who were to start arriving at 10:30. The office was in desperate need of vacuuming and spider eggs had hatched some time in the past. The empty egg sacs were under the chairs in the waiting room. I don't know how long they were there because there no live spiders were in the office (thank goodness!). I vacuumed and cleaned up the egg sacs and spiderwebs attached to the bottoms of the chairs.

Then I sat and waited. By 10:45 a.m. no one was there, not even a doctor. I was beginning to wonder if the appointments had been canceled!? At 10:50, the doctor arrived. He had a list of four patients. At 10:55, the first patient arrived for an 11:00 appointment. I had her fill out paperwork. At exactly 11:00 she was shown to an exam room and the doctor went in immediately. Don't you wish your doctor's appointments were on time like that? I know I do.

The next appointment was for 11:20. He showed up and signed in at 11:00 a.m. When it rains, it pours. The first appointment finished at 11:20 and one minute later, we had the second patient in.

The noon appointment showed up at 11:35 a.m. There was supposed to be an appointment at 11:40 as well. What to do? That person wasn't there yet. It ended up working out okay. The 11:40 appointment ended up being a no-show, so the noon appointment was seen at 11:45 a.m.

The doctor left at 12:16 p.m. I had to straighten up the office and take out the trash. At 12:30 p.m. I was done for the day. Only 2-1/2 hours. That was easy.

On Monday, I'll be back working with a different traveling doctor. Apparently he is more particular. I know he has more forms; hopefully his patients arrive early enough before their appointment time to get them filled out.

Bob has not been feeling well for at least two weeks. He has a horrible cough and now has a headache and a lot of nasal congestion, runny nose, sneezing. He needs to get checked out. He says if it's not better Friday a.m., he's going to an emergi-center to see what to do to get rid of the crud.

A warm welcome to our newest follower, Wendy of Wendy's Trip Log. Right off the bat I can see we have a couple of things in common: the same birthday and Christmas cookie exchange parties. She also cries at her kid's performances (sounds familiar, but our kids have been grown and gone for a while). Thanks for reading about our life journey, Wendy.

Travel Bug out.


  1. I think you are so patience to wait for the doctor and to keep the place clean :)

  2. Satellite doctor's office. Sometimes that can be pretty boring. It sounds like Bob has he Texas crud. MY two daughters get it every year. Normally it is over in 10-14 days. If not, a visit to doctor is needed to prevent the crud from turning into Bronchitis.
    On a different note, we are going to be at Hidden Valley in San Antonio for the month of February. Hope to meet you guys then.
    Best wishes for the holidays.

    1. Hey Jerry and Carol, I would love to meet you in February! Is Hidden Valley rebuilt now after the Memorial Day flooding? I know Terri said they were working on it, but haven't seen an update on her blog.


  3. That was nice of you to clean up the spider webs and such, even though the doctors or the patients will ever realize it. Wouldn't you think the place would have a cleaning service though? I think a part time job with so few hours would be great - wish I could find something similar.

  4. 'As jobs go Susan that sounds like a great one. Hope they are paying you the big bucks! :-))

    I'm keeping notes on San Antonio, it's a place we want to go on our way west.

    Two weeks of crud sounds like more than enough. Something is going on. Hope he went to see someone today and it is nothing serious.

  5. A visit to the doc's office when you (or a loved one) are not the patient is a good one.

  6. Hi Susan. Thank you for your Christmas wish. It was good to hear from you. We are doing well headed back to IN for Christmas with family. I hope your husband gets to feeling better soon. No fun being sick at the holidays. We head to FL after Christmas for a camp hosting job.
    Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

  7. That was a quick job. Glad for the patients sake that you cleaned up the office before they got there. Hope Bob doesn't have "Cedar Fever" which is allergies to the Mexican cedar (what we called Juniper up north) as it blooms from now through Feb and lots of people are allergic.


Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.