Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Monday, August 29, 2016

Just Before Dawn - Mon., Aug. 29, 2016

Bob is back to his normally scheduled marathon training and he feels great. I'm so happy for him.

His accounting job is going very well and the company is growing. He is finally settling in after 1-1/2 years. In addition, he does part-time consulting for three other companies.

In other news, we have been working to get completely out of debt. In July, we sold our rental home in Fife, Washington. Now we are just about to close on the duplex we have owned in Oregon for 25 years. It will be such a relief to be rid of those high-maintenance properties. Well it's not really the properties that are high maintenance, it's the renters. Our stress level will go way down not having to deal with that anymore!

I just finished working four 10-hour days (worked Sunday to cover for a co-worker). Susan and I hadn't walked for 12 days and this morning we had a window of opportunity with 0% chance of rain before 9 a.m.

At 6:30 a.m. we met at McDonalds and signed in for our walk, then drove about 1/2 mile to the start point on the Leon Creek Greenway Trail. This is the trail we tried to walk ten days ago that was underwater in three different directions.

We started walking before dawn and could barely see. A small animal crossed our path and we weren't sure what it was. Susan was getting pretty close when I said, "That's a skunk!" She slowed down immediately. We must have been about 20' away from that skunk! I thought of taking a photo of it but it would have required flash and I didn't feel like startling a skunk! P.U. that would have made an really bad start to the day.

No water across the trail today. We made good time on our 6.2 miles. Other animals we spotted were bunnies and deer. We saw three rabbits and numerous deer. I didn't have my camera out, so no wildlife photos.

Because of all the rain we've had lately, the grasses and trees are very pretty. More wildflowers are blooming as well.


Leon Creek Greenway bike path
Pretty sky early this morning
Sensitive briar or Cat's claw (Schrania uncinata)
Snow-on-the-Mountain (Euphorbia marginata)_
Poisonbean, rattlebox, rattlebush
(Sesbania drummondii)
Poisonbean, rattlebox, rattlebush
(Sesbania drummondii)
When we finished walking Susan headed home to get ready for her dental appointment and I went shopping at H-E-B, THE Texas grocery chain. The H-E-B I visited today was an old store that was re-done. They built a parking garage underneath and the store above it. They have shopping cart escalators or you can take an elevator up and down.

The design of the build is very retro. I like it.

H-E-B grocery on Nogalitos in San Antonio, TX
H-E-B are the initials of the founder, but their advertising claims Here Everything's Better (HEB).

The deli was calling my name and I bought thick-sliced turkey breast, then bought pepper jack and medium Cheddar cheeses, along with avocado. A couple of days ago we ate dinner and shopped at H-E-B Central Market. We bought excellent three-seed bread which was begging me to make a good sandwich on it. Of course, you should never shop when you're hungry, but I did anyway.

I had breakfast at 5:30 a.m. and had just finished a quick 6.2 mile walk so I was hungry. As soon as I got home at 9:30 a.m., I made a wonderful turkey breast sandwich with avocado and pepper jack cheese. Mmmmmmm.

Then it rained. We only had a 15-20% chance of rain, but we got some which to me is 100% chance of rain! The ground got wet, but we don't have to wade out of our 5th wheel. Yay!

It's 3 p.m. now and the sun just came out. I walked up to the RV park office earlier to buy supplies and it was insanely humid out. Very hot and miserable. I'm happy to be back in air-conditioned comfort!

Here's what it looks like when I sit at my computer...this is normal whenever I sit here at the table.
Bowie is plastered against my hip
dreaming of the birds outside the window.
Sunnie is plastered against the back of my computer screen.
I think I'll spend time catching up on some blogs from earlier in the year.

Travel Bug out.

1 comment:

  1. Really glad to hear that Bob is doing so well. Had no idea you were juggling two rentals from a distance....definitely stressful.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.