Sunday, December 31, 2017

A Winter's Day - Saturday, December 30, 2017

The Mamas and the Papas captured today's walk perfectly. 

"All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray
I've been for a walk on a winter's day..."
 ** from "California Dreamin'" **

Yes, south-central Texas does get winter days. The temperature was in the low 50s when we started walking at 9:20 a.m. A group of five of us headed out on a Volksmarch from Mission San Juan to Mission Espada. Bob and I opted to do only a 5k because I am recuperating from a mild cold.

To begin our walk, we strolled part-way around Mission San Juan's grounds. We then proceeded through the archway to the Yanaguana Trail.

Dee, Christie, Andy, and Bob

After the Yanaguana Trail, we re-entered the
arches to continue around the mission grounds.
Mission San Juan
We found an oak tree in full color
Wow, gorgeous color!
From the mission grounds, we headed across the San Antonio River on Bergs Mill Veterans Memorial Bridge. We followed Mission Road up a hill, past the end of Stinson Municipal Airport's runway, and around to the Espada Aqueduct.

Crossing Bergs Mill Bridge
Christmas cactus
Dee and Andy checked out the historical marker
 Below is a seed pod on a vine which is growing on the Mission Road bridge.

When we came around to the Espada Aqueduct Park, we were greeted by construction barricades meant to keep cars out. People, however, could get around them (carefully).

The Espada Aqueduct (acequia) is part of the original aqueduct system used by the missions for irrigating their crops.

Espada Aqueduct as it crosses a creek
Espada Aqueduct through the farmland
At the aqueduct
Bob talking about the history here
Espada Aqueduct
From the aqueduct, we followed this segment of the bike path back to the main Mission Reach Bike Path.

Christie, Andy, and Dee
I thought I would escape being
photographed today, but Bob got me.
Once back on the main bike path, Dee, Christie, and Andy headed south to Mission Espada to do the 10k walk. Bob and I headed back to Mission San Juan. In the aqueduct next to the bike path, we spotted this turtle who definitely was not interested in being spotted!

Turtle hiding in its shell
After the walk, Bob went to work, and I headed over to Susan Medlin's house to work on a jigsaw puzzle. That was a fun change of pace, so to speak.

Tomorrow, we're off to Fredericksburg, Texas, to do two Volksmarches: one during the day, and one at 12:01 a.m. to ring in the New Year. It's going to be cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.