Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunday, March 17, 2024

Bob Has Another Hilo Marathon Under His Belt! - Sunday, March 17, 2024

The smile says it all. Bob successfully completed the Hilo Marathon (his 3rd time). Great job, babe! I know how much you love it. Kudos to you for taking on the wellness program a month ago. You are making great strides in taking care of yourself!



While I peacefully slumbered, Bob awoke at 4:15 am. After he had a little breakfast, he packed his bags and put them in the car so I wouldn't have to lug them down the stairs at hotel checkout time. He was allowed to start the race at 5 am (an hour early) so he would have eight hours to complete the course.

The first half of the marathon was his favorite. It was dark, cool, and misty. The scenery is world-class: rainforest, waterfalls, streams, and ocean views. The Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden was the turn-around. From there, they ran back to Hilo, went to Richardson Beach Park, turned around, and returned to the hotel's finish line.

Meanwhile, I slept in, packed, and showered. Bob called to say he would pass our hotel and wanted me to take his photo. 


Bob is now on the second half of the 
marathon course.

After that, I searched for breakfast. By the time I made it to a good restaurant (Ken's Pancake House and Coconut Grill) at 10:30 am, the waits were 20-30 minutes. That wouldn't do. Even though breakfast is my favorite meal, I wanted to walk Bob in at the end of the marathon. 

I drove past the airport to the newer part of Hilo and found a little cafĂ© that just opened for lunch. I made do with a burger and salad. The salad was huge, so I took half of it in a to-go box for later. 

Bob was past the halfway point and getting to the Richardson Park turn-around, so I knew I had to make my way there. I parked our rental car by the marathon host hotel to see if Bob had already crossed the finish line. On my way past Liliuokalani Gardens, I took two photos.


Banyan tree in Liliuokalani Gardens,
Hilo, HI.

Bob was not in the finish area at the hotel, so I took off walking the course in reverse order to meet with him on his way back. He wasn't where I thought he'd be, so I asked people on the course if there was any way to track him. Because he started early it wasn't considered an "official" time; they didn't track his number.

So I kept walking. Then I saw runners coming out from a side street. I didn't know that was part of the route. When I got there, the volunteers stopping cars for runners to cross told me that was the way the runners were returning. I went that way and didn't see runners for two blocks ahead. I wondered if I missed him at the finish area. Just then, I saw him come around the corner with two other marathoners. Success!

We walked the final two miles together. At the finish hotel, I ran through the hotel and down the stairs to the finish line to take his photo as he crossed. He was tired but jubilant. This is his first full marathon since his triple bypass surgery 11 months ago. His thoracic surgeon and cardiologist told him it would take a year for him to fully recover. He did it in 11 months and felt great! Way to go!

He had fruit and snacks at the finish line. He wanted to get his aching, blistered feet into the ocean. After 20 minutes of recovering, he walked to the beach park next door and I went to move the car closer. However, I drove through Liliuokalani Gardens (twice missing the turn into the park where he was). I parked in Liliuokalani Gardens and walked to meet him at the place where he was.

His feet were ocean-cooled. He limped his way to where I parked. We sat on a bench overlooking the bay and I finished my salad. It was a great weekend in Hilo.

Liliuokalani Gardens.

Liliuokalani Gardens.

Hilo Bay next to Liliuokalani Gardens. 
Our view where I finished my salad.

Liliuokalani Gardens.

Liliuokalani Gardens.

Now, it's time for the two-hour drive back to Keahou-Kona where our timeshare is. We took Saddle Road (#200) across the flanks of Maunakea volcano. The day was gorgeous and we could see Mauna Loa, Maunakea, Hualalai, Kohala, and Haleakala (on Maui) mountains this afternoon. I had to stop for photo ops!

Mauna Loa.

Maunakea.

Kohala.

Hualalai.

Haleakala (in the distance) on Maui.

The half-moon even made an appearance this afternoon!

A half moon as seen from
the Saddle Road on The Big Island. 

When we returned to the timeshare, Bob slept for a few hours to recuperate. I watched 60 Minutes and other shows. 

Tomorrow night, we snorkel with the manta rays! Woo hoo! A new experience for us.

[NOTE: When we made our reservations for the timeshare months ago, Bob did not know it was Hilo Marathon time. He was ecstatic when he found out and signed up for it immediately. Hawaii is where his soul resides.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.