Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lightning bolts -- Mon., May 14

Cotulla, Texas:
I'm impressed. Sitting here in the dining room of the 5er at midnight watching lightning storms, listening to the rain pattering on the roof.

Our window faces west and that's where the storm is. It's following the Rio Grande east and south. We are on the eastern edge of the storm so I'm getting a fantastic lightning show. I unplugged all our computers just in case, but I don't think the storm is that close. According to my highly untechnical methods, the closest the storm has come is within two miles.

The caliche dust is now gloppy mud. I've only had three people check in since the rain started, but it was when there were just the beginnings of big drops so I didn't get very wet.

We had a busy, busy day; on page 8 of our log sheet. The drivers are very polite and stop for us; however a few aren't very fond of signing in and out.

Oh, wow, the whole sky lit up with lightning, and the thunder is rolling, rolling, rolling. Sounds like the storm is about a mile away now. I love lightning storms!! They're so dramatic.

Once the rain started all the flying bugs near our arc lights disappeared.

Another consequence of the rain is how green the trees are getting. (That's in addition to how it keeps the dust down.)

Well that was different--the lightning just created a strobe-light effect--the whole sky was flashing. AND the thunder was practically at the same time. Must be about 1/2 mile away now. Woo hoo.
 




4 comments:

  1. I LOVE storms, and sitting watching thunder and lightening storms from the night window is such a treat. There's nothing quite like that feeling of security of the house round you as you watch nature at work. It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, watching storms from the security of a house is fantastic; however, we live in a 33 foot long, 5th wheel trailer. It shakes when the thunder booms and moves around quite a bit in a strong wind like we had with this storm. I had to put one of the slides in to protect the awning.

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog. Great description of the storstorm. The power of nature is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

      Welcome to my blog.

      Susan

      Delete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.