Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Saturday, July 14, 2012

These Boots are Made for Hiking -- Sat., July 14

San Antonio, Texas:

I feet great! We did our 10K Volkswalk at Crownridge Canyon. The first half of the walk was throughout Crownridge Canyon; the second half was through ritzy neighborhoods on the ridges. We didn't get started until 8:45 a.m. and finished about 11:10 a.m. It was hot and humid with very little breeze if any. When we were in the trees under the shade it was much nicer than out in full sun!

Volkswalk photos:

The Upper Canyon Trail (harder)
"In season" this is the top of Bear Grass Falls. Not today.
 


Looks like a Gainsborough painting.
Neighborhood on Strauss

A home on Strauss--top of the ridge.
View from atop the ridge.
Another home on Strauss.
Pretty flower in someone's yard.
We saw so many types of flora today, everything from plumeria to cacti to junipers to wildflowers to palm trees. Lovely walk, but hot!

Lunch was at Pappasito's Cantina. Yummy! I had Mexican Chicken Soup with Rice, and Bob had their three-enchilada plate. We shared with each other. The soup won hands down; the soup's flavor was outstanding. Some ingredients in the soup: chicken, rice, onions, carrots, avocado, corn, broth. They brought a plate with condiments to put in the soup including diced tomatoes, cilantro, jalapenos, and onions. I was stuffed. We brought leftover enchiladas home.

So festive...made me want to go in!
Freeway sign...I liked the signs on the doors better.
Ambiance.
Mexican-style Chicken Soup with Rice. Mmmmmm.
Three-enchilada plate with rice & beans.
Making fresh tortillas!
After lunch, we blazed our way to Blazing Star RV Park on the western side of San Antonio. Apparently in January Traveler's World (our current location) is booked solid so we're looking for options on where we can stay after Australia. Blazing Star RV Park is HUGE so they have availability January-April. They've got a game room with two pool tables, air hockey and arcade games, a library, large store, pool, big laundry facility. Looks like we may call it home for a few months until we can get back into Traveler's World.

From Blazing Star, we stopped at The Academy which is an outdoor/sports store to look for hiking boots for me. They had three pairs of hiking boots for women on display. One pair of Columbias looked good, but they didn't have them in my size. I give the salesperson credit as she offered to call other branches to find my size. I declined and we went to Bass Pro Shops instead. 

Now we're talkin'! They had lots of womens' hiking boots. The whole store was an experience.


Dioramas.
A wall of womens' hiking shoes!
Elk diorama.
They support lots of organizations.
Now that's what I call a shopping experience. Found really nice lightweight hiking boots (exactly what I was looking for) and hiking poles. Now I can hike Yellowstone without my toenails falling off. Yay!

Forgot the pics of my boots and poles. Here they are....


 
Tomorrow I will start breaking in my hikers on another 10K Volkswalk through Friedrich Nature Park.

That was it for today. We both were bushed. Time to head back to the 5er...Bob for a nap and me to blog.

Look for our next Travel Bug adventure tomorrow.

Travel Bug wiped out.


10 comments:

  1. Well, gee, wondering what brand you found? Wondering if we will make it to San Antonio this winter as well, maybe to see my daughter...hmmm. making a note of this rv park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. Forgot to post pics of boots and poles. Boots are Mountrek brand.

      Susan

      Delete
  2. Nice hike! How long is a 10 K in miles? I'm not sure I'm up to doing 10 K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10K is 6.2 miles. Bob does marathons and I've been Volkswalking for so long that I'm used to kilometers as a measure of distance.

      Susan

      Delete
  3. If I had done all that ... you wouldn't see or hear from me for about a week...so glad you enjoyed your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a fun day. And we'll do it again tomorrow. The Nature Park we're walking tomorrow is in the same neighborhood as the one we were in today.

      Today made me feel energized. Good for us to get out and get in some exercise after sitting as gate guards for two months.

      Susan

      Delete
  4. Pappasito's is always a hit in my book. The Pappas family has built an amazing array of excellent restaurants.

    I bought some from from Walmart and got what I paid for. I actually found a branch from a maple tree on the form here that I have been using. It is a bit bulky but it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheesh! I can't type. I bought some trekking poles from Walmart. Branch came from the farm.
      What brand are the trekking poles?

      Delete
    2. You actually may be the one who recommended Pappasito's. Thanks. Very enjoyable. We also were in awe of the light chips that came with the salsa. We're used to really heavy, really salty chips, so these were delectable.

      Believe it or not, I kinda figured out what you were trying to say about hiking poles/walking sticks. The trekking poles are Bass Pro brand. You can probably find them at basspro.com.

      Susan

      Delete
  5. Pappasito's is pretty good Tex Mex but they really do give you too much food for one person so it is best to share... we do!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.