Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Monday, July 23, 2012

Warrior vs. Worrier Mode - Mon., July 23

San Antonio, Texas:

A fine way to say, "Farewell." Today Bob was out having lunch with the owner of the company he works for. When he returned to his pick up, his computer and cell phone had been stolen.

All of our financial and his company's financial records are on the computer. Bob lost all of his own personal computerized files. 

According to the owner of the company, there are electronic equipment organized theft rings in San Antonio. The owner has had his computer stolen and another worker at the company had his computer stolen as well.  We don't know what this might mean in terms of identity theft. I shudder to think.

In a conversation with Bob later this afternoon, he already had his previous cell phone shut off, and had purchased a new computer and a new smartphone. When he got his new computer back to the office, their I.T. guy told him he needed to take it back and buy a computer with "Microsoft Professional" software. Back Bob went to Best Buy to trade it in and add some new software as well.  He is going to purchase the full Adobe Acrobat package...all we've had until now is Adobe Reader.

Here's my take on this in a Men-are-from-Mars-Women-are-from-Venus kind of way. When a problem occurs, men go into WARRIOR Mode and women go into WORRIER Mode. Bob is out there running around taking care of business in true Warrior fashion. I am sitting here in true Worrier fashion worrying about all that can happen with the stolen items...the biggest worry of all is identity theft. 

Bob's all grab-the-bull-by-the-horns-we're-going-to-get-through-this and I'm saying, "What if this happens? What if that happens? Did you call the police? Will insurance cover it? What if the thieving pigs charge beaucoup bucks on the cell phone?" You get the picture.

In the long run, we'll work through it and deal with all the ramifications (which I hope won't be many).

We will pick up my Escape pod from the auto detailer in the morning. The carpets and seats should have had a chance to dry by then. Bob will have to go back to the office in the morning and finish loading programs onto his new computer and make sure their I.T. guy connects his computer to the company server so Bob can work remotely.

You know when bad stuff happens you just gotta look the devil in the eye and say, "Pfffffffffffffffffffft!", take care of it, and move on. ("Build a bridge and get over it," is what we like to say.) Which is what we'll be doing literally and figuratively tomorrow. We may not get out of town as early as we hoped but that's okay. Our next stop is about five hours away and it's all freeway. How hard can that be? Then we'll have something in common...BOTH of us will be ROAD WARRIORS.

On a happier note, all the mail/packages we were expecting have arrived. The manager of the RV park has offered to store my Escape pod for free in a locked storage yard on the property since we plan to come back to this park for two more months after our six-week trip. (How nice is that? We love this place!)

I am so thrilled with the response to my blog from earlier today about Choosing an RV. It's only been a few hours and people's Comments are exceptionally well thought out. I'm happy RVers are willing to share experiences and knowledge. Thank you so much.

Tonight, I need to get some sleep. I told Bob as soon as "The Closer" is over to clonk my night owl self on the head and make me get some sleep.

Wow, this blog just wrote itself. What fun! I hardly had to think.

Worrying Travel Bug out.

I leave you with a few kitty pics...

Stuffed animal cat packaged just for you.
"I'z not fat, the camera angle iz weird."

Mice are better in a box.

Give a cat a box...


6 comments:

  1. That is awful about the theft! And I relate to your concern about what's going to happen to your information. You remind me that I better back things up soon. Have fun with your day then...don't worry, be happy! (right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Backups, do your backups! Even I need to do mine. I better get on it.

      Susan

      Delete
  2. Love your blog! Sorry about your computer and hope your worries do NOT come true! We have an RV and love it although we are on a world cruise right now---it IS really nice to have someone else do the cooking and cleaning. Don't know what I'll do when we get home and I have to do the laundry!
    Pam
    worldcruise12.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My debit card number and my husband's corporate credit card number were stolen recently. We think it happened at a restaurant here in Houston. Purchases were made in New Jersey and New York. Apparently, they just make new cards and use stolen numbers. The bank immediately credited our money back to us, but now we are down to just one debit card. They will not forward a new one to us. I will have to get a new one when I return home this winter. It is so upsetting when things are stolen and the thieves just get away with it.

    Hope all goes well and no one steals your identity. It's scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Update in September: No identity theft happened. According to the police, these thieves just want the electronics.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.