Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Monday, May 20, 2013

Movie Review: Star Trek Into Darkness - Mon., May 20

First off, kudos to J. J. Abrams for directing and producing a true work of art and a super-fine piece of spring entertainment: Star Trek Into Darkness. From the opening sequence, chills ran through my body like opening a bay door in deep space, except the water on my tongue did not boil and I did not lose consciousness. The bay door closed and the story held my rapt attention through the remaining two hours.

More than anticipated, Into Darkness keeps the Star Trek franchise booted up, suited up and ready to go boldly into the future. The opening sequence plays like an opening scene from Star Wars or Indiana Jones with a story that immerses you immediately into the lives of another culture; this one alien, not technologically advanced, and close to extinction.

And, surprise, surprise, once again Captain James Tiberius Kirk is rebelling against rules and superior officers. I don't think I give too much away by saying that.

In Into Darkness things are not always what they seem. Be prepared to be surprised.

Keep your sense of humor sharp. Laughs will come when you least expect them.

I do not want to give away too much of the plot because it's much more fun going in with no pre-conceived notions. Do expect a rollicking-good story and excellent performances from the cast.

I continue to adore the young crew playing parts iconically belonging to William Shatner (Captain Kirk), Leonard Nimoy (Mr. Spock), DeForest Kelley (Bones), George Takei (Sulu), Nichelle Nichols (Uhura), Walter Koenig (Pavel Chekov),and James Doohan (Scotty). They do the franchise proud.

Enjoy!

Travel Bug out.


8 comments:

  1. You amaze me with your diversity of film tastes.
    I haven't seen anything Star Trek since the series when I was a kid. Even then it was rare. I have know idea what the story line is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother got me hooked on the original series when I was a teen-ager. I've loved watching all the different TV versions and movies over the years.

      Delete
  2. We saw Star Trek yesterday as well! I enjoyed the action packed adventure (I even cried)...it doesn't hurt that Chris Pine is really cute! Kevin enjoyed it as well, but the whole Pike thing has him up in arms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, something to look forward to. I haven't seen a movie in the theaters since the Toronto Browncoats went to see 'Warm Bodies' back in the winter. That was fun, a charming little zombie love story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just amazing how Star Trek has endured through the years and is still popular. Makes you wonder how the TV execs must have kicked themselves after cancelling the original TV series back in 1969. Talk about a bad mistake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't realize the potential buying power of Trekkies!

      Delete
  5. We just saw it and liked it, been a trekkie since the 60s.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.