Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Monday, June 3, 2013

Another Part-time Job! - Mon., June 3

Work comes when you least expect it. I was sitting in the 5th wheel reading blogs, defrosting the freezer, and playing Scrabble on Facebook when Bob called. The place he works needs a receptionist. Their office opened last week and they haven't hired a front desk person. So, I am working there temporarily Monday through Wednesday this week. I already have a Thursday-Friday job so I'm not sure how long the receptionist position will last.

A story from a couple of days ago:
As I sat at the dining table in the 5th wheel, BAM!, a bird hit the window hard. I ran outside and saw a sparrow-like young bird upside down on the concrete. Awww, poor birdie. I went down and turned it right side up. It's head lolled to one side like it had a broken neck. Awful, I didn't know what to do. After five minutes I checked on it again and it was still there. I didn't know if I should put it out of its misery or what.

About 30 minutes later I checked again and the bird was gone!?! Fearing that a feral cat had made lunch out of it, I came back in and looked out each window to see if the bird had moved on its own. I found the bird sitting in the grass behind our RV. As I watched, a sparrow flew into the tree nearby and chirped loudly. The young sparrow flew up into the tree. Yay! The little bird made a quick recovery. I love a happy ending.

After work today, I changed into walking clothes to walk with the San Antonio Walking Buddies at 6:30 p.m. Then I drove to The Pearl Brewery (meetup location) and had time for dinner. As I was walking through The Pearl complex, I saw Green Vegetarian Cuisine and decided to eat there.







Because the temperature was in the low 90s and it was humid, I opted to sit inside with my friend, air conditioning. The restaurant is good. For dinner, I chose a Quinoa Burrito with herbed mashed potatoes as my side dish. The dinner was tasty and I was entertained by sayings on the back of the servers T-shirts: "Give peas a chance," "Vegetarians make better lovers," and "Less meat saves lives" (or something to that effect).

Old light globe art on the wall at Green.
My dinner: quinoa burrito, herbed mashed potatoes and raspberry sauce.
This afternoon's walk along the Museum Reach of the Riverwalk was a rapid pace. We walked a 14-minute mile for four miles. It took a little under an hour to go four miles.

And that was my exciting day. I never did finish defrosting the freezer, but most of the built-up ice came out before I had to turn it back on and go to work earlier today.

Travel Bug out.

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the baby bird recovered. Always sad when they slam into a window, but not a whole lot you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review on Green- we will try that next time in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. If you want to do any walks or see movies next time you're in town, let me know.

      Delete
  3. Where is the resturant located? I am also looking for new vegetarian resturants to try. We are only about an hour from San Antonio, so we may just have to pop down there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green Veg. Cuisine is located in The Pearl Brewery Complex, Full Goods Building, Ste. 102 on Grayson St., San Antonio, TX. Here is a link to their website: http://greensanantonio.com/

      Delete
  4. I think it is great that you find jobs when you need and/or want them. I hate the whole process of interviewing and networking and all that goes with job hunting.

    I think vegetarianism is such a great way to eat but I fall short of having NO meat in my diet. Still you quinoa burrito looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a vegetarian, but I like vegetarian food...all part of a well-balanced diet.

      Delete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.