Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Instant Replay of Our Week - Sat., Mar. 29

The calendar stares down at me from the wall. March 29th it says.

Soon we will enter April and the height of spring flowers in South Texas. With all the cold and rain we had this winter, the bountiful wildflowers have been slow to show their true colors. Last year the bluebonnets were at full strength in late February and early March.

I'm happy to report that bluebonnets and red lupine now carpet fields, freeway medians and shoulders. They're beginning to reach their full show of color. Indian blankets and evening primrose are also showing their stuff.

Monday I had a day off, so I slept in and did chores: bought more birdseed at Wild Birds Unlimited, had my tires rotated at Costco, got my hearing aids cleaned and eyeglasses cleaned and tightened up (also at Costco), and relaxed. Wild Birds Unlimited had bird feeders out on a tree in the middle of the strip mall parking lot. Pretty yellow birds were hanging all over it. I asked at the store what kind of birds were eating at the feeder. These lovelies are lesser goldfinches, female and male. Bob played basketball at the gym before work and then worked until late.

Lesser goldfinches
Tuesday and Wednesday were cool and rainy. I worked at the insurance office in north San Antonio both days. Wednesday night, I had a severe case of vertigo that caused me to retire for the night. Bob worked, played basketball Wednesday morning.

The kitties were all snuggled into one of their boxes and I HAD to take a photo!


Thursday and Friday, I worked in the RV park office. We were very busy. Making reservations, and checking people in and out kept me hopping. Bob worked, played basketball Friday morning.

Friday night, Bob was off work early and came home to kidnap me for a Friday night date as soon as I finished work. He whisked me off to see "Divergent." (He's not a big sci-fi fan so I was thrilled when he told me he was taking me to see "Divergent.") We arrived at the theater about 45 minutes early, so we had time for dinner at "Hurricane Wings."

"Divergent" is such a good movie, so exciting all the way through. Shailene Woodley is perfect for the part of Tris and the actor who played Four was the perfect blend of brooding, icy and caring. I love the story. Because I hadn't read the books, I wasn't sure if the story would make sense. (It did.) Bob thought the movie was "a morality play. Obviously, it was an interesting love story." He said he didn't need to see it again.

Saturday: Bob played basketball at the gym in San Antonio and worked a half day. Volksmarch time for me. Our friends, Susan and Darren, and I headed an hour east of San Antonio to Luling, the Watermelon Thump Capital of Texas, for a 10K walk throughout the town.

Luling was established in 1874 with the western expansion of the railroad. The big money in town was made with cattle, cotton and oil. The Zedler Mill provided water and produced electricity for town and is known for its grist mill/saw mill/cotton gin. Points of interest in Luling include and Oil Museum, great barbecue restaurants, and historic homes. Oil wells and pump jacks are scattered throughout town...some have been decorated by a local artist. During the Watermelon Thump Festival there are seed-spitting contests, champion melon growing contest, and watermelon eating contest.

Images from our walk in Luling...

Mr. Joseph Josey from Bavaria, Germany, was one of the founders of Luling. Below is a photo of his home.

The Josey House
Cool eagle sculpture
Darren with the eagle.
Susan M. and Darren at historic Zedler House
Zedler House Guest House and Event Center
The millrace at Zedler Mill
Darren checking out equipment in museum.
Equipment from the sawmill.
Cotton mill/gin.
Zedler Mill: the lifeblood of Luling
International Harvester 1-row cotton picker: 1949
San Marcos River at Zedler Mill
Grand old home.
Red and blue lupine (bluebonnets)
Muenster grave site in cemetery
Wildflowers and coal train
Waiting for the coal train so we can cross the tracks.
Susan M. hamming it up. We "trained" her well.
Welcome mural.
 Ladies restroom sign at th Watermelon Thump Pavilion.

Clever!
When we finished the walk we had lunch at Luling barbecue. I asked for a small plate with dark turkey meat. When I was handed the food, it was a chicken leg and thigh. I was very disappointed because I love turkey. There was a long line at the counter so I just ate it.

From Luling, we headed back to San Antonio where we went to see "Divergent." I was very happy to see it again. Susan M. and Darren had been wanting to see it. Both of them enjoyed the movie too!

From the theater we headed back to the 5er so they could pick up their car. Bob was home when we got there. We then headed out to dinner at Asian Fire, a Mongolian Grill-type restaurant. It was wonderful.

I finally had a chance to sit down and write my blog tonight. All for now.

Travel Bug out.




8 comments:

  1. You always do volksmarches in the most interesting places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan and I are driving to Portland from Texas to do the Gorge Hiking Weekend June 19-22. We plan to do seven Volksmarches in four days. We're hoping for nice weather! We will also Volksmarch state capitals in Phoenix, Carson City, Sacramento, Boise and Santa Fe along the way.

      Delete
  2. There is nothing cuter than cats curled up sleeping in a box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we're always bringing home different boxes from Costco. (Best present for cats besides catnip.)

      Delete
  3. We left Texas last Monday. We didn't get to see any bluebonnets and red lupine. Darn the bad luck, but thanks for the photo.

    We haven't visit Luling...yet. Thanks for the tour. Looks like a cute town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As we headed south on 37 from San Antonio we noticed lots of wildflowers. Some were just in small patches but others were gorgeous fields. Of course, none of these were close to a rest stop so that I could take pictures. Enjoy your week and thanks for the links. We have way too little time here.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.