Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bob is Back to Work -- Tues., Jan. 3, 2012

Sparks, NV:
Hey, no frozen or leaky fresh water hose! Good job, Bob!

It's official. Today Bob starts work for Kodiak Roofing as their Reno/Sparks/ Carson City Service Division Manager. Kodiak is a large commercial roofing company headquartered in Sacramento, CA. He interviewed with them in November just before Thanksgiving and let them know he's available until mid-to-late April. At that time we plan to work in Yellowstone National Park for the summer season (May - October). At first they weren't interested in him, but a couple of days later called back and offered him the position, saying when we're finished at Yellowstone, they would like him to come back and resume work. What a great employer!

Now that we are settled in Sparks Marina RV Park, we are very happy and comfortable here. This is a very well run park. The restrooms/showers and laundry facilities are super clean and well maintained. If we have a package delivered to the front desk, they send a note to our door. If we want to go in the hot tub in winter, we let them know about two hours ahead of time and they will turn on the spa for us. (It's too expensive to keep it heated all the time.)

Yesterday, the Reno area had unseasonably warm weather--67 degrees!--with a warm wind. We were out in our T-shirts in January. Today is another beautiful day but it only got up to about 60. Again T-shirt weather; sunny, clear as a bell. Our RV site is in town but we have a nice 180 degree view of hills. 

Last night, we watched "Storage Wars." I'm hooked. What an interesting show. They find some unique things when they bid on/purchase the contents of abandoned storage units.

Monday we joined "Fitness for $10" in Sparks. It's a big club and only $10 per month for each of us. That's such a bargain after my health club in Hawaii which was $80 per month plus a large initiation fee. As part of our joining package, we each get one consultation with a personal trainer. 

My consultation was today. I went in at 11:00 am and met with Steven who is very helpful and knowledgeable. We talked about diet, how much weight I want to lose, hydration, how weight training is preferable to cardio training, and he taught me some good exercises to strengthen my knees and rotator cuff muscles. $10 well spent for January so far. My goal is to use the club 3-4 times per week: build muscle and burn fat.

I am looking for employment. My online application was sent to Express Personnel in Reno and I e-mailed my resume to them. I am also checking out the local help-wanted ads online and will look at what the local Unemployment Office has listed. We will be here about four months and I'd like some spending money for personal trainer, hair, manicures, pedicures and movies. If that isn't motivation I don't know what is!

While we were in Fallon, I went to a hair salon. The hairdresser who cut my hair was, I believe, just a couple of years out of high school. She didn't cut enough hair off and I didn't like it, so I took my scissors to it and cut off some more. However, I'm not a hairdresser, so I asked a lady working in the RV Park office for a recommendation. (Her hair is cut short similar to mine.) She gave me two names. I now have an appointment with Vickie at Sapphire Salon for Friday. Vickie has been doing hair for 20 years and has a loyal following. Yeah! It is really hard to find a good hairdresser when you don't know an area...Now to find a good dentist!

As I sit here typing, the sun is going down in the southwest. I am facing northeast. The hills in the foreground are in shadow and the higher hills in the background are glowing gold in the background. It is very pretty here even if there aren't many trees.

This evening Bob is joining a local walking/running group and will go out with them for approximately six miles. He misses his running buddy Mike from Hawaii and hopes to find some good friends in this group. 


Life is good. Travel Bug out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.