Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Two 5K Volksmarches Before 9:30 a.m. - Tues., Aug. 6

San Antonio, TX - 

You would be so proud of me...I was at a walk start point to meet two other walkers at 6:15 a.m. Up before the birds. In fact, the bats were still out!

Stone Oak area:

Both of the other walkers decided to do 5K (3.1 miles), so I walked with them instead of turning off and doing the 10K walk. We finished as the sun was burning off the clouds.

Philippine potato vine
Potato vine up close - heart patterns.
Stone Oak neighborhood

Herb and Ellen - my walking buddies today.
Herb and I
The temperature is supposed to get to 102 today, so the local pet hospital posted a pet heat advisory on their sign.

Taco Cabana was our start and finish point, that meant I could have my favorite egg and potato burrito with salsa roja and a bottle of orange juice. Feeling revived, the Brook Hollow area was on the way back to the 5er. I hopped off the freeway and did another 5K walk.

Brook Hollow neighborhood:

Two beetles on this seed pod.
Fluffy plant gone to seed!!

Always deer on the Brook Hollow walk.
Close up of fawn.

The following picture is ball moss on a wire. It looked so funky and eclectic, I took a photo.

Ball moss.
Beautiful flowers on a tree.
By the time I finished walking at 9:10 a.m., the sun was out and it was hot and humid! Ugh. Glad I got going early.

For the two years we've been full-timing, there's been a hummingbird feeder in our "basement." Saturday, Bob put it up. Quickly discovered, four hummingbirds are now having turf wars over the feeder.

Black-chinned hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri)
Black-chinned hummingbird

Juvenile female black-chinned hummingbird, San Antonio, TX
Black-chinned hummingbird

We'll see what the rest of the day holds. Right now, I'm going back to sleep.

Travel Bug out.

3 comments:

  1. I am proud of you. What a great way to start the morning. You are so lucky to have the hummingbirds come so quickly to your feeder. You took some great photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you getting out early before it gets really hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Volksmarching is such good exercise good work! Great photos of the hummingbirds!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.