Dunedin Railway Station, Dunedin, South Island, New Zealand - Saturday, December 30, 2023

Dunedin Railway Station, Dunedin, South Island, New Zealand - Saturday, December 30, 2023
Dunedin Railway Station, Dunedin, South Island, New Zealand - Saturday, December 30, 2023

Monday, December 12, 2011

Day off, lock out -- Dec. 11-12, 2011

Fallon, NV: Last night started our "weekend." Here's how it went.

Sunday night: Immediately after work we headed to the Fallon Wal-Mart Supercenter to grocery shop. After purchasing fruit, veggies, crackers, we headed back to the 5er. Dinner was turkey burgers on whole wheat buns, mashed yams with lime juice, a spinach salad, potato chips and Corona. We watched the "Amazing Race" finale, spent some time online.

Bob went to bed early as he had to get up and drive to Sacramento to meet with his new employer (starting Jan. 2, 2012). I stayed up, watched "CSI: Miami," played online games (Scrabble, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, etc.). 

Around 2:00 a.m., I fixed some berry Airborne to drink before bed. I was trying to put the glass on the table next to my computer, when it slipped. In order to keep it from pouring into my computer keyboard, I did not try to catch it and let it drop. What a mess! It hit the tan upholstered dining room chair, soaking it, then tipped and flew out onto the tan carpet under our dining table. The purplish liquid soaked into the chair and the carpet. 

I grabbed a bunch of paper towels and starting soaking up the liquid. I moved the chair upside down over the heater vent to dry it out. For the next 45 minutes, I sat at my computer (in a different chair) and put my feet on paper towels to soak up as much Airborne as I could.  Then it was bedtime (2:45 am).

Because we paid extra for a spray-on coating for our carpet and furniture when we bought our 5er, today there was no stain on the chair or the carpet!! Woo hoo.

Bob got up at 5:30 a.m. and headed out for Sacramento at 6:00 a.m. I slept until 9:45 am. Ahhhh. Felt good. 

I got up, showered and got our laundry ready to go to the laundry room. Decided to eat breakfast while the laundry was going, so waited. I had to go outside and get the laundry basket from storage in the belly of the rig (the "basement"). I went out the door without a coat because I was only going out for a minute to grab the laundry basket. I closed the door behind me to keep the cold air out .

The door on the basement was locked so I had to go back into the rig to get the key. OMG, it was about 30 degrees outside. When I tried to go back in the rig, it was locked!  I could not get in. I didn't know the door could lock behind me. Help! So there I was standing out in the freezing cold, no coat, no phone, no keys. 

In order not to freeze, I went to the RV park office. They called Mike the maintenance man. He took me in his open-air golf cart back out to the rig and tried a key he had, but it wasn't the right kind. He left me standing there while he went back to his RV to get a different key he thought might work on ours. It didn't.

I walked back to the RV park office and asked if I could use their phone. First, I called AAA, gave them all my information, until we came to the question, "What make and model of vehicle do you have?" I had explained to her when we were first connected that we had a 5th wheel TRAILER and I was locked out. Well, apparently AAA's locksmith service does not extend to trailers.

Luckily, we joined the Good Sam Club; however their phone number was in the trailer. No one in the RV park office knew the number. There was a Woodall's Campground Directory in the office. I was paging through it when I saw an ad for Camping World. Good Sam Club is through Camping World, so I called Camping World's 888 number. They said they would transfer me to Good Sam Club roadside service. It was a recording where I had to push numbers. Yuck. One of the questions was "What is your Good Sam membership number?" Well, I didn't have it on me. Because I couldn't enter my number, I got cut off. 

Once again, I called Camping World. They immediately wanted to transfer me to Good Sam Club. This time, I asked them to give me the 800 number so if I got cut off I could call back. I got through to Good Sam Club but not the roadside assistance. They were going to transfer me, but I asked them to please give me the number first. When I got a person, I found out it wasn't the right department and they had to transfer me. I asked for the number. It was the same number the last person told me he was transferring me to. Needless to say, I had to be transferred AGAIN. By this time, I've been hogging the RV park's main phone line for about 30 minutes.

Joan answered my call and understood the situation when I explained it to her. She took all my information and said she would locate a locksmith for me. She wanted me to hold on the line while she searched for a local locksmith. I asked her if she could please call me back because I was using the RV park phone. She said she would call back with an update in about 10 minutes. 

The RV park office/convenience store had some inside tables and chairs to sit at. While waiting, I started reading a book from their lending library: "The Sanctuary," by Raymond Khoury. The book was good from the first page. After about 15-20 minutes, Joan from Good Sam called back and said the locksmith would be there within 1/2 hour. Good Sam Club covered the service call, but I would have to pay for parts and labor.

When the locksmith arrived, he gave me a ride in his WARM truck to the 5er. I sat in the truck while he unlocked the door. (Took him about 30 seconds.) No charge for me and Good Sam took care of the service call.  I was SO HAPPY to be back in the warm rig. It was 1:40 p.m. The lock out lasted two hours from start to finish. This time I ate my "breakfast" BEFORE doing the laundry.

It was time to do laundry. I put on my coat (with the keys in it), went out, unlocked the basement door, got the laundry basket. Back in the unit, I sorted the laundry, loaded the laundry basket, got the laundry soap and headed off to the laundry room. I got to the laundry room door and realized I left the laundry room key in the rig. So, I went back to the park office and asked for the key. I think the guy in there was sick of seeing me. LOL.

Laundry accomplished with no further problems. 

At 3:00 p.m. Bob called to let me know he had a great meeting with the roofing company in Sacramento and was on his way back. He will stop at Costco in Sparks to shop and will check out Sparks Marina RV Park to find out about rates from January through mid-April. He will be working in Sparks about 1-1/2 miles from that RV park.

Tonight "The Closer" and "Hawaii 5-0" are on. Tomorrow, more sleeping in!!

Wednesday, we start 11 hour days at amazon.com., have to be there at 6:30 a.m. and work until 6:00 p.m.

Oh, I forgot to mention. On Sunday morning at amazon.com, I had 208% for part of the morning and 85% for the rest of the morning. In the afternoon, we were really cranking. No numbers were given to us. Bob was curious and asked for his numbers. He was at 400%!!! I didn't ask, but was probably close to that as I was on the same line working on the same products.

It's clear here with NO rain and NO snow. We have not had any rain since we've been here. Daytime temps high 30s to low 40s; nighttime temps 12-15 degrees.

We are going through a lot of propane to heat our 5er. Expensive (more expensive than electricity...we even have an electric space heater).

Time for me to go and clean the trailer. 


  1. You should get one of those magnetic "hide-a-key" boxes and stick it somewhere outside the rig in a place that is not obvious. What an ordeal!! Glad it all worked out for you.

  2. Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comments! Am reading some of your entries and enjoying it. Dave got locked out of our rig once when I was gone. Not a pretty sight! I've got all our roadside assistance phone and policy numbers in my Blackberry, which goes with me everywhere. Literally! That way when we have to call I'm not freaking out trying to find the file for whatever service it is. I'm just sayin' . . . ;) Kudos to you guys for surviving Amazon!

    1. Good idea about the roadside assistance and policy numbers in your Blackberry. I don't have a smart phone but my cell phone accepts pretty good notes. I will have to get on this. (Now, if only I can remember to take my cell phone with me at all times!)

      Amazon was a piece of cake compared to gate guarding!

      Thanks for checking out my blog and leaving a comment.



Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.