Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Road trip - Tues., Feb. 28, 2012

Tonopah, NV:
Bob called me from work at 3:30 p.m. to ask if I'd like to go on a road trip to
Caliente, NV where he needs to do two roof walks on Wednesday. I wasn't sure I would be able to go because around 2:00 p.m. while I was in the laundry room, I got vertigo while I was loading the washers. It came on suddenly with sweating and not feeling well. 

I finished loading the washers and headed back to the 5er, went to sit in the recliner and felt sick to my stomach. Thinking it would pass, I sat quietly and closed my eyes. I did some deep breathing. It got worse. Made it to the bathroom just in time to be sick. 

After that I felt about 75% better. I set the timer for 15 minutes, went back to the recliner and Sunnie joined me, loving on me like he knew I didn't feel well. For the next fifteen minutes, I sat quietly and petted the cat. 

When the timer went off, I returned to the laundry room and put everything in the dryers. I got the laundry finished with no further incidences of vertigo! Woo hoo.

Bob came home at 5:30 p.m. We ate salad and decided to have dinner at Subway in Fallon, NV.

Because this is the first time we're leaving our fur-kids alone for a day, worry-wart (me) had to put another kitty litter box in the bathroom as well as "kitty-proof" the 5er. (Kitty proofing entailed taking down and putting away all towels, napkins, paper towels, loose papers, and anything else we thought they might get into.) We left an extra bowl of water and three bowls of dry food out. Thankfully Bowie and Sunnie have each other to play with and sleep with. They'll be fine.

The drive to Caliente, NV  from Sparks is seven hours. Bob's first job walk is 10:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. At first he thought we'd get up and leave around 2:00 a.m. from Sparks. Then he thought about it and said, "Why don't we leave tonight? We can spend the night in Tonopah and drive 3-1/2 hours in the morning." That made sense.

I'm glad we got out of Sparks when we did. The weather forecast is for 80% chance of snow and very gusty winds starting about 4:00 a.m...wind gusts up to 50 mph. 

Our drive to Tonopah was uneventful with clear roads all the way. We made a brief stop in Fallon to get our dinner to go at Subway. On our drive down US 95, we saw warning signs for deer, free range cattle, wild horses and mountain sheep. When we saw the sign for the mountain sheep, Bob said, "We'll have to be careful not to ram them. We may have to dodge them." (Dodge Ram, mountain sheep, get it?) Maybe you had to be there.

Tonopah is around 6,000 ft elevation. There are little patches of snow on the ground here and there. Temperature when we arrived at 10:00 p.m. was 32 degrees F.

We are staying at the Best Western Hi Desert Inn. We got their last room which is a two-room suite! It's very nice. We even have two bathrooms. Our suite is bigger than our 5er. LOL. 

Best Western has free breakfast so we will eat at 5:30 a.m. and then hit the road. Tomorrow Bob has two job walks...the one in Caliente and another at Cathedral Gorge State Park. While Bob is up on the roofs, I get to catch up on my reading or take a nap.

I am stoked about going to Cathedral Gorge State Park. I wanted to go there, but it's so far in the middle of nowhere that I didn't think we'd actually make it. Tomorrow's the day!! I will take lots of cool pics. Most of the hikes in the park are pretty easy, so we'll probably make an afternoon of it. 

We plan to go home by way of Ely, NV.  I'm a little concerned because weather forecasts for tomorrow night are for snow and gusty winds. (Blizzard effect.) If it gets too bad, we'll spend another night in a motel and head back Thursday a.m. (Another reason we prepared the 5er for the cats.)

It's late. Wake up call at 4:30 a.m. We're off on another adventure!!

Travel Bug out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.