Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Snow vs. Rain Redux - Wed., Feb 29, 2012

Ely, NV:
Okay, after tonight I'm changing my answer on snow being preferable to rain. 

As we were driving home from Cathedral Gorge State Park, the weather descended. I'm talking blizzard. As we drove into Ely, NV, the snow was blowing. As it got dark, we had what we refer to as a Star Trek "jump to lightspeed" drive.

Our first thought was to try to get out of Ely and off the pass because we thought the snow would abate at a lower elevation. Once we got five miles out of town, in the dark, with no streetlights and the next town 77 miles away, being barely able to see the road or the reflectors on the side of the road, Bob decided it was time to head back to town and get a motel for the night. I was scared. No snowplows had come in either direction and the snow was falling like crazy. I'd guess we had three inches of snow in about 1/2 hour.

My laptop battery is low, so I will continue this story when we make it back to the 5er.

Suffice it to say, I'm thankful Bob was working today and we were in his work truck with good tires and 4WD! Right now we're safe and cozy in our motel room.

To be continued...

Picture taken from our motel room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.