Ko Olina looking toward Nanakuli Head, Oahu, HI, December 5, 2016

Ko Olina looking toward Nanakuli Head, Oahu, HI, December 5, 2016
Ko Olina looking toward Nanakuli Head, Oahu, HI, December 5, 2016

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Ode to a Fine Father -- Sun., June 17

Cotulla, Texas:


"Ode" to a Fine Father
by Susan Alton
 "Hank Rearden type
Seeks Dagny Taggart type
To help find Atlantis."
 Read the ad in Willamette Week.

"I'm a father.
A partner I seek"
"Not a bother
I'm a mother.
He'll have a brother."
And so we melded
Family seams welded

Swimming, hiking, 
Traveling, biking,
A life together
Through "whatever."

Twenty-nine years
Dealing with fears,
Tears and incredible cheers.

Downed a few beers
Said some "Yes, dears."

You're a father who's fine
And you found me through Ayn.

Thank you for your manly demeanor--
And you know how to run the vacuum cleaner.

I am incredibly lucky
To find a father so plucky.

I love you, Mr. Alton


* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~


Posthumously to my Dad.
by Susan Alton

Early in life
The ace of diamonds
Dealt you a hand--
Margaret's--
Be my wife.

Still in your youth
The ace of hearts
Came upon you--
With your mate
A family to create. 

In your later years
The ace of clubs
Dealt you a blow--
Dialysis fears
Mother's tears.


At the end
The ace of spades
Made itself known--
Hospice stepped in
Death with dignity--win.

**Dedicated to my dad--always an Ace (and a card).


2 comments:

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.