Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024
Sunset, Kailua-Kona, The Big Island, Hawaii, March 11, 2024

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Ode to a Fine Father -- Sun., June 17

Cotulla, Texas:


"Ode" to a Fine Father
by Susan Alton
 "Hank Rearden type
Seeks Dagny Taggart type
To help find Atlantis."
 Read the ad in Willamette Week.

"I'm a father.
A partner I seek"
"Not a bother
I'm a mother.
He'll have a brother."
And so we melded
Family seams welded

Swimming, hiking, 
Traveling, biking,
A life together
Through "whatever."

Twenty-nine years
Dealing with fears,
Tears and incredible cheers.

Downed a few beers
Said some "Yes, dears."

You're a father who's fine
And you found me through Ayn.

Thank you for your manly demeanor--
And you know how to run the vacuum cleaner.

I am incredibly lucky
To find a father so plucky.

I love you, Mr. Alton


* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~


Posthumously to my Dad.
by Susan Alton

Early in life
The ace of diamonds
Dealt you a hand--
Margaret's--
Be my wife.

Still in your youth
The ace of hearts
Came upon you--
With your mate
A family to create. 

In your later years
The ace of clubs
Dealt you a blow--
Dialysis fears
Mother's tears.


At the end
The ace of spades
Made itself known--
Hospice stepped in
Death with dignity--win.

**Dedicated to my dad--always an Ace (and a card).


2 comments:

Please let me know what you think, your experiences, and constructive criticism to make this blog stronger.